Free Website Visitors

Sunday 15 May 2016

My Lips Gave Me The Name Kiss- Kiss Daniels

My Lips Gave Me The Name Kiss- Kiss Daniels 

Fast rising singer, Kiss Daniels is one of the promising young Nigerians with a future in the ever competitive and dynamic entertainment world. In this interview with SAMUEL ABULUDE, the singer whose real name is Oluwatobiloba Daniel Anidugbe, speaks of his rise to fame, challenges and his album concert holding this tomorrow. 

 How are preparations towards your album concert? Preparations are ongoing, I’m bringing my A-game to the party. Same with other artistes. 

Fans should come and watch and excellent concert. How did you get all these artistes to perform at your concert? It is the marvellous work of my label. G-Worldwide Entertainment. 

The likes of 2Baba, Banky W, Patoranking, Yemi Alade, Iyanya, Burna boy, Tekno, Reekado banks, Cynthia Morgan, Wande Coal, Vector Da Viper, Sugarboy, Ycee, Young6ix and others are storming Eko Hotel on Sunday. 

Also comedians like AY, Akpororo, Ushbebe, Sheyi Law, Pencil will be cracking ribs. It’s gonna be lots of fun out there. My album concert will set a New Era for artistes in this part of the world. How did you come to answer Kiss Daniel? 

 The name was actually given to me when I was in secondary school. Some girls for no reason, maybe because of my lips, started calling me Kiss. It kind of stuck with me for a long time so that when it was time to get a name for my brand, Kiss Daniel came in naturally. At what point did you know you would earn a living from music? 


 I was doing music while I was in school. I think it was when I got signed. I got signed during my service year. It seemed that God planned everything because when I was in school I didn’t get a record label and it was like there was no way for me. But immediately I left school, I got signed. I actually told myself that if after I leave school I don’t get signed that I will go to the UK, get my masters and focus on white collar jobs. But fortunately for me, right after I finished school, I got signed and in that same year I released a song that took the whole Africa by surprise. It all happened very fast. People have said you have been in the industry for long, but got your break in Woju. How would you clarify this? 

 Though the flare for music was there in my school days, I couldn’t do much on my own at that time. Everything was low key then. It wasn’t until G-Worldwide Entertainment signed me in 2014 that I started professionally. I dropped Shoye that year and then Woju. 

So, professionally, music career started the same year I released Woju. Was Woju inspired by any personal experience? What I sang about in Woju is what people experience daily. It’s a personal thing in everyone’s life. 

There is usually that one person you love but couldn’t walk up to. Was there a time you wanted to give up? Yes, even till now, some people are still discouraging me. 

There were times when I wanted to give up, but if I give up I will be losing sight of my purpose. My purpose is to use my music to correct some societal ills. First you have to look at the way I drop my songs. 

When I dropped Woju, you would see a flirty kind of person. But Laye is talking about a loving person, somebody that will give you everything even if you jilt him. Raba and ‘Good Time’ address club life with a different touch. 

 People say you sing about women most of the times. What social ill would you be addressing with your kind of music? It is not that I have a special attraction for women. I actually notice other things in the society, but then it just happens that the songs I drop happen to be that kind of songs. 

It’s like shopping. Before you go shopping, you already have a list of what you want, but once you enter and begin to see other fancy things, you abandon what you really came to buy. But somehow you get the needed stuff. 

That is the way it is with my music. But everyone will get the whole message in my album. My album has seventeen tracks with three bonus tracks. Can you tell us about your forthcoming album? The album is titled New Era. Nigeria is currently in a new era and I want to pass that same message to my fans. There are no collaborations in the 17 track album. 

The collaborations I had is with my label mate called Sugarboy. I featured him on three tracks .The album is a story and the best person that can interpret the story is Sugarboy. He knew me when I was hustling and suffered with me.

 I can’t feature someone in an album that won’t understand what I am trying to achieve. That is why there are no known collaborations in the album. Why did you feature Davido and Tiwa Savage in your Woju remix? The truth is it is not only my stand alone that matters. I have a record label. The record label has a team of industry stakeholders and critics, who selected songs for the album. So, they made their positions known on the songs including Woju remix.

 Personally, I got Davido and Tiwa Savage on the Woju to help push the song. They did a fantastic job. As for getting the song the album, or not collaborating with any big artistes for the new album, it was deliberate. The album is a personal thing for me. I think I am more than capable to pass the message on my own. 

New Era is a message coming from me to the fans. I don’t think I need anyone now to help pass the message, except Sugarboy. Hopefully in other albums, I will features other artistes. For instance, I have already done featured Wizkid in a song. 

And intend to have many more collaborations during the year. What do you hope to achieve with New Era? I want to correct the impression that good music doesn’t sell. I heard a lot of that when I was starting out. I was advised to, you know, shout, say nasty things and all what not if I wanted to blow. But I felt that good music still stands a chance in our industry. Recently I went to a club, when suddenly Woju was played and people were screaming. But I was like, “It’s been two years or so now”. 

Then I realised that a good song is not bound by time. Good songs last long. It cuts across all age groups and gender. In a nutshell, good songs are universal. I want my songs to be good, clean and free of unpleasant words or expressions. 

What would you regard as your greatest sacrifice for music? My five years in school. I wanted to become a great engineer. I studied Water Engineering, similar to Civil Engineering and I finished with a 4.32 CGPA. For you to know that I actually studied. But after spending five years studying the course of my dream, I left it for music. 

That is my greatest sacrifice for music. Does it make you feel bad sometimes? Yes, I feel bad sometimes. My mates are already established in their fields. Some of them call me. Some of them are doing all right for themselves. 

Now, it seems my five years is gone to waste. But it is because I love music that I am here. I am not a fan of corporate wears. Maybe that contributed to the reason I dumped Engineering for music. Who motivated you the most to do music? 

 My dad. He was a very caring and loving person. He was very supportive of my music career. He was the one that gave me my first money to record a song. He did not force me to do anything. I told him I wanted to do music when I was in school. 

He only told me to finish my education first. What is greatest principle he bequeathed to you? My dad told me to be patient while doing the right thing. He said that it might seem like it is not working, that it is not the right thing, keep

No comments:

Post a Comment